Special Education and Student Services
The Department of Student Services provides a wide spectrum of services and supports for the students enrolled in the Sharon Public Schools. The Counseling/Guidance, Nursing, and Special Education Departments comprise the PreK-12 department, thus meeting the needs of all learners. The majority of these services are provided through the Department of Student Services.
Special education should be viewed as a part of the continuum of supports, services, and interventions for students. We strive to ensure that the regular education program is responsive to the diverse learning needs of all students. Working in tandem, regular education and special education staff can provide equal opportunities, with maximum participation and increased outcomes for students with disabilities when included with their non-disabled peers.
As a District, the Sharon Public Schools is committed to:
- Providing special education services in the least restrictive environment to the maximum extent possible;
- Implementing research-based interventions and strategies to ensure effective progress for all students;
- Fostering and maintaining collaborative relationships with families to meet the needs of their students’;
- Assisting students’ in achieving their post-secondary goals;
- For students in out-of-district programs, maintaining a connection to their home district
- Following the Massachusetts Special Education Regulations developed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)
Jessica Murphy M.Ed., CAGS.
Director of Student Services
(781) 784-1563 *Dept. of Student Services Main Number
Sharon Public Schools~ District-Wide Program Evaluation 2019-2020
The Sharon Public Schools engaged with Public Consulting Group (PCG) to complete a comprehensive evaluation of our current programs including Multi-Tiered Systems of Support and Special Education. Using parent and staff focus groups, parent and staff surveys, student shadowing and data review, PCG formulated recommendations for the District in order to develop increasingly comprehensive services and support throughout all levels.
Links to the Executive Summary and the complete report are below:
Sharon Public Schools: Section 504 Grievance Procedures
Sharon Public Schools has developed and is implementing an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
Please find attached the full description of the District's Section 504 Grievance Procedure.